This role sits at the intersection of engineering and data science – with the opportunity to work with our vast set of small business financial data to build a scalable, fast and easily accessible data infrastructure for internal and external users. It is critical to not only care about the data and modelling but also upholding engineering best practices in data science products and beyond. Domain experience would be helpful, but not essential.
Where you can have impact:
- Scope and lead transformation of our data infrastructure, we are laying the groundwork for early-stage products to iteratively evolve and scale.
- We work closely with our customers to help them grow and overcome these uncertain times. We leverage financial data in order to do this, in many cases we have a better understanding of how the business is running than the business owners. You will help us develop these tools and find new ways of identifying threats and opportunities.
- Coach team members and become the next generation of leaders at OakNorth. As a senior member of the team, you will be looked to for guidance.
You may be a good fit for this role if you:
- Have a strong technical background, including 3+ years of experience designing and engineering large scale systems.
- You should have a strong analytical background – for example, an MSc in a relevant discipline or sufficient self-study into statistical and data science concepts
- Measure your success in terms of business impact, not lines of code
- Internalise the best ideas from across the organisation, humbly setting a vision that others can get behind
- Embrace DevOps culture: You build it, you run it
- Work well cross-functionally and earn trust from co-workers at all levels
- Care deeply about mentorship and growing your colleagues
- Prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different areas of expertise.
- Make pragmatic technology choices, at the moment we use Python / MySQL / AWS / Terraform / CircleCI
- You challenge the existing approach when you see the cliff edge racing towards us, but also get on board once the options have been debated and the team has made a decision
- You’re comfortably organised amongst chaos
- You’re a broad thinker and have the capability to see the potential impact of decisions across the wider business