At Leonardo, we have a fantastic new opportunity for a Principal Electronics Engineer. Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 7,000 are based in the UK.
This Principal Electronics Engineering vacancy presents an exciting opportunity for an ambitious individual to develop and grow their skills and knowledge within a thriving organisation. In this broad electronic engineering role, you will work across a range of projects throughout various stages of the product lifecycle from initial concept development through to early life production support and on to support of existing fielded designs, all within the Precision Guidance area.
Project work at Leonardo is based on both internally funded products and directly funded work with deliverables to key customers within short timescales. If successful, you will be joining a dedicated multi-disciplined Integrated Project Team with a full and stretching workload – with huge potential for personal growth and professional development.
WHAT YOU’LL GET
- Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life through flexible hours and part time options
- Custom working: The role may be a mixture of home based and onsite
- Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
- Network groups : To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion we have network groups for Carers, Enable, Equalise & Pride. We also work in partnership with AFBE (Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers).
- Training : Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses
- Continuous Learning : You will be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring
- Investors in People : We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Silver Award
- Employee Assistance Programme : Providing free and confidential mental health support
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 8 flexi days
To find out about all of our Company benefits please visit: https://uk.leonardocompany.com/en/people-careers/life-at-leonardo/company-benefits
What you will do
The product development responsibilities include requirement capture, prototyping/risk reduction experiments, schematic capture and PCB Layout, circuit simulation, driving the design review process and collaborating with other engineering functions and manufacturing. You will also be responsible for devising and implementing all necessary design verification tests and supporting documentation required to allow your new designs to transition into production. It will be necessary to work with specialist technologies relating to Precision Guidance including the use of LASERs and RF.
The support responsibilities will focus on our market-leading Precision Guidance products such as that used in Storm Shadow, supporting midlife upgrade work to overcome obsolescence and see the product remain in service for the coming decade and beyond. It will also be necessary to be able to analyse existing designs in detail and proceed to understand how they work and perform.
You must be eligible for full security clearance. For more information and guidance please visit : https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels
What we are looking for
- First or second degree in Electronic Engineering (preferable) or related science (e.g. Physics) with preferably some specialisation in electronic techniques.
- Strong analogue & mixed-signal circuit design experience
- Strong digital circuity design including the design of boards using complex FPGAs
- Extensive experience of PCB development tools and process
- Experience of DFx (designing for cost, test and manufacturability)
- Experience in System level and sub-system integration and debug.
- Electro-Optics experience beneficial
- Knowledge of Linear and Switching Power Supply Design and EMC Filter Design would be beneficial
- Knowledge of Matlab and Simulink would be beneficial.
- Design of engineering solutions taking into account all requirements such as product quality, safety, reliability and testability.
- Present robust engineering solutions at design and peer reviews to ensure technical accuracy of specifications, designs and reports.
- Undertake project tasks covered by a statement of work, detailing input, processes and output together with cost/timescale constraints to ensure delivery of project objectives.
- Able to complete work with minimal supervision.
- Able to mentor, coach and develop more junior members of the team in order to develop overall capability.