At Leonardo, we have fantastic new opportunities for Senior Mechanical Engineers to join our Integrated Sensing & Protection (ISP) line of Business. Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 7,000 are based in the UK.
The ISP line of business is uniquely positioned as one of the world’s top designers, developers and manufacturers of Electro-Optic Sensors, EO Seekers, Acoustic Sensors, RF Comms, RF Counter measures and Counter Unmanned Air Systems.
Your role as a Senior Mechanical Engineer will be to design, develop and support our World Leading Electro-Optic and RF Products. You will be utilising state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools to explore all aspects of the Engineering life cycle. You will interface with customers on many factors within the Engineering life cycle and liaise closely with Engineers from other disciplines.
All members of the Mechanical Engineering Team are supported in the continual development of their technical skills, including structural, thermal, model driven engineering, etc.
WHAT YOU’LL GET
- Flexible working: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life through flexible hours and part time options
- Custom working: The role may be a mixture of home based and onsite
- Flexible benefits: Our company-funded approach to flexible benefits allows employees to make choices appropriate for them. Each employee has access to a wide choice of lifestyle, health and wellbeing options best suited to their individual lifestyle goals.
- Network groups : To demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion we have network groups for
- Carers (employees who care for someone who is either older, disabled or seriously ill)
- Enable (supporting people with disabilities)
- Equalise (development of a gender balanced workforce)
- Pride (promoting equality for all LGBTQ+ individuals)
- We also work in partnership with AFBE (Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers).
- Training : Free access to Coursera which provides more than 4,000 online courses
- Continuous Learning : You will be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring
- Investors in People : We are proud recipients of the Investors in People Silver Award
- Employee Assistance Programme : Providing free and confidential mental health support
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays and 8 flexi days
To find out about all of our Company benefits please visit: https://uk.leonardocompany.com/en/people-careers/life-at-leonardo/company-benefits
What you will do
- Support senior members of staff in the delivery of technically compliant solutions to ensure delivery of mechanical engineering excellence.
- Own Work Package delivery elements to achieve the desired Quality, Schedule and Cost.
- Design innovative, optimised engineering solutions taking into account all requirements including product quality, safety, reliability, testability and sustainability.
- Mechanical design and development of solutions using appropriate Engineering tools and/or methods.
- Contribute to reviews of Mechanical designs in accordance with business and industry standards.
- Interface with numerous disciplines within the Business during the introduction of new product into the Development/Production lifecycle phase.
- Hands on involvement in practical implementation of development builds.
Involvement in design solution verification activities e.g. input to Analysis, support to Testing, etc.
- Provide support to Root Cause Analysis and deliver effective solutions.
- Mentor, develop your peers in terms of technical knowledge and soft skills.
- Support Mechanical Leadership Team in developing improvements within Functional Process and Best Practice.
What we are looking for
- A minimum of an upper second class degree in Mechanical Engineering (or similar), or
- Equivalent experience in the field of Aerospace or Defence.
- Mechanical Engineering design for Electro-Optical and/or RF systems.
- Designing for harsh environments (Land, Sea and Air), including EMC.
- Mechanical design and development using 3D CAD tools (ideally PTC Creo).
- Problem solving using a structured, logical approach to investigate issues and problems in an effective cross-functional manner.
- Mechanical Engineering detailed design – extensive experience of engineering design, numerical calculations, tolerance studies, and the validation of.
- Design for ‘X’, including Manufacturing, Assembly, Test, Integration and Sustainability.
- Application of BS8888 and GD&T.
- Design to Unit Production Cost.
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Experience in the Aerospace and Defence sector.
- Capable of producing ‘First pass’ structural/thermal/pressure analysis to determine if a design is fit-for-purpose (ideally PTC Simulate, Flow or Siemens NX)
- Extensive knowledge of Additive Layer Manufacturing.
You must be eligible for full security clearance. For more information and guidance please visit : https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels